The third @forums-governance team meeting has taken place on 2022-05-04T22:00:00Z.
- Administrative matters
- Regular meeting schedule
- Minuting and Dorothea’s involvement
- Forum migration progress
- Moderator selection/polls
- Help and support transition status
- Transitioning other platforms
- Downvoting on posts
Going forward, meetings of the moderation team will happen on a regular schedule every second week. Current plan is Thursday at 15:00 UTC, but this needs to be confirmed with the rest of the regular attendees.
In the past, minutes were composed by @Doro8ea. Future minutes will be taken by meeting participants. We will only ask for support if we really need it.
@cquest is still testing, closing aligning the compatibility between versions. End of May is still our desired date, but will depend on how far the current testing has gone.
The question-answer-plugin will be installed as soon as possible.
For migration, @Firefishy will look into the two options:
- Migrate content and redirect.
- Create an archive.
Full collaborative minutes
We should pick a fixed time for next meetings. Earlier might be better for Ruben and Tobias, Grant is OK, we should check with the rest of the regular attendees. We’ll try 2 hours earlier on Thursdays (every second week).
We should gather minutes ourselves, and ask for support only if we really need it.
- Christian is still testing, closing aligning the compatibility between versions. Grant will ask for an update.
- End of May is still our desired date, but will depend on how far the current testing has gone.
- Grant now has the time to perform the migration when needed.
We need to agree on how to select moderators for the forums.
- Tobias is suggesting to figure out a self-governance process in the medium term (communties using polls to accept or reject applications for moderator status)
- Ruben has some concerns about the process dynamics if we just rely on a poll.
- Grant thinks we maybe don’t need to solve for the long term need, but rather have something that works now, and evaluate after a 3 month period. This might require taking some decisions from this group initially (choosing people).
- Nop has been creating a list of things that are currently moderated at the German forums, also Ruben and Nop are working on guidelines for moderators, base on the official discourse ones.
- Paul shared that we have a need for having at least a couple active moderators per category to make sure someone can be contacted.
- Ruben: We might want to write down a description on what a moderator should have and use that to select the initial moderators.
- Ruben and Tobias to come back with a proposal on the moderator selection process for this group review. If the governance team can agree on a proposal, it will be shared with the LCCWG moderation subcommittee for feedback and alignment.
The plugin will be installed as soon as possible.
Grant will look into the two options:
Migrate content and redirect.
Create an archive.
At some point we should think how to support people and communities who want to transition to the forums (maybe communities currently on a mailing list).
It seems archiving is more likely the easier path for other platforms, specially because identities are not linked to OSM login, but still will require a transition plan when the old platform is closed and people redirected to the new one.
We discussed about the request coming from some people on the need to downvote posts.
There are some assumptions on how having or not having this ability will impact the discussion dynamics:
- Allowing people to downvote with no context might discourage participation.
- By downvoting, reducing the number of disagreement replies to a message, reducing noise and negative dynamics.
We talked about a potential test where we enable this feature for period of time and then come back with data on how this has been impacting the discussion dynamics.
We need to document how and when we delete users as per their request. To be discussed in our next call.