Forum.osm.org transition announcement

Note that these forums can be used just like a mailing list. You can “subscribe” to a category or tag from the top right :bell: and select “Watching”. You will receive every new topic and message and you will be able to reply by email (exactly like a mailing list).

Bonus: You can select individual topics to stop these notifications (mute a topic) or just subscribe to an individual one and not having to subscribe to the whole category (which I personally love and it’s not possible using mailing lists).

2 Likes

Yes, I know. But some are part of the old-school internet when most of the communications were via ML and are still reluctant to migrate to a Forum-Style conversation.

I understand, in any case I would invite them to test it out, their experience is going to be the same as a mailing list, everything without leaving their email client.

In fact, I know a few “old-school” people here that only interact with topics and messages via email.

2 Likes

We will, one step at a time: first the category, then the conversion to the forum from the ML and after that (we’ll map) the world!

1 Like

Note that these forums can be used just like a mailing list.

it may be true for the new one, the old one was almost unusable, e.g. quoting doesn’t work on iphone and the text was too small. If you close the page or had connection problems on send your draft was lost, etc. These things seem solved on discourse, others are still in the process of being solved (or we’ll have to live with them). Thank god the badge madness was stopped.
But still after six months we are still missing a thumbs down button/emoticon, it seems some things are very complicated on the new platform…

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Could we have a emoji :thumps up: as reaction?

…or they use Delta Chat :smile:

1 Like

On Fri, 09 Sep 2022 21:18 +02:00, Rubén Martín via OpenStreetMap Community > Note that these forums can be used just like a mailing list. You can

“subscribe” to a category or tag from the top right :bell: and select
“Watching”. You will receive every new topic and message and you will
be able to reply by email (exactly like a mailing list).

Have all the mailing list features been turned up? IIRC, it was not possible to create a new thread/topic on discourse via email. Is that possible?

Aside, maybe someone should write up how to use discourse via email.

1 Like

Email-in is not enabled for any category yet, but I guess that can be tested if requested. @Firefishy can talk better about this.

1 Like

There’s a message at the top of https://forum.openstreetmap.org/index.php that says:

*** NOTICE: By 30th of September 2022 the forum.openstreetmap.org will be retired, please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators. We expect the migration of data will be finished by that date, you can follow its progress here.***

What it doesn’t say is what will happen where the process does not apply. As an example, https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=5 is a subforum that is almost never used and has no moderators. Will the content be transferred?** If so, shouldn’t the link at the top say so?

A subsidiary question is “given that the answer to ^^ question is probably in this forum somewhere, how do I find out the answer there?”. I was able to find Brazil subcategory - #6 by nukeador by searching the emails that this site has sent me in mailing list mode. If I try that same search on this site itself (“governance transfer”) I get something different that does not answer the question. How would someone who doesn’t have mailing-list mode emails from the site find out the answer?

** actually, I could be persuaded either way as to whether it should or not, but that’s not really relevant to the question.

All existing threads will be transferred.

It has not yet been decided where the threads will end up if there is no equivalent community category on this site. The proposed options include read-only categories or dropping them into General talk with the country as a tag.

1 Like

That issue is already a long time idle, is there any progress?

For the Carnaval kaart and the Friestalige kaart / Fryske kaart that are already “archived” it would be good if the few topic that are in them are moved to the Dutch community I think.

The topic name should be preferably updated with a prefix [Carnaval kaart] or [Friestalige kaart / Fryske kaart]

Guten Abend zusammen,

Im Zusammenhang mit der anstehenden Umstellung erbitte ich definitive und valide Aussagen zur geplanten Umstellung seitens der Moderation und Administration.

In Ergänzung zu meinem Beitrag im bisherigen Forenbereich meine Frage/ Aussage zu dem Thema:

Ich persönlich erwarte, daß alle bisherigen Forenbeiträge incl. sämtlicher Forenlinks an allen Stellen des OSM-Universums ins neue Dingens konvertiert werden! Die Notwendigkeit zeigt sich alleine schon daran, das der bisherige Forenbereich "users: germany" mit weitem Abstand an Platz 1 der Beitragszahlen liegt. Das zeigt die gewollten Nutzungspräferenzen und hier in DE dann auch in gewisser Weise die Dokumentationstiefe, Wer das ignoriert, schmeißt viele Daten weg, ingnoriert den OpenData-Gedanken...

Wie sieht da aktuell die inhaltliche und zeitliche Planung aus?

Sven

Wir als Mods können garnichts dazu sagen, da wir moderieren nicht administrieren.

Ich habe es daher nach #site-feedback verschoben, wo eine solche Frage hingehört.

Danke…

…und da geht es los… bein neuerlichen Aufruf habe ich keine Weiterleitung zur neuen Position des Beitrages…
@Admins Bei Verschiebung eines Beitrags: an der ursprünglich erstellten Stelle dieses Beitrages MUSS eine Verlinkung zur neuen Stelle des Beitrages stehen bleiben! PFLICHT !!

Sonst wird das nur ein heilloses Chaos! :frowning:

@SafetyIng Du kannst nichts dafür, du bist nur der stellvertretende Leidtragende…

jetzt schon genervte Grüße

streckenkundler

Verstehe ich das richtig: Wenn ein Beitrag von Kategorie A in Kategorie B verschoben wird, dann forderst du, dass eine Verlinkung in Kategorie B erhalten bleibt?
Ich sehe da keinen Sinn drin.

@streckenkundler, in den obersten zwei Zeilen des Forums ist ganz klar darauf hingewiesen, dass es einen Prozess geben wird, der den Umzug der Daten plant. Die Informationen dazu stehen in Github. Wie, wann und ob die Datenmigration zum 30.9. abgeschlossen ist, wird dir in der deutschen Community niemand sagen können, der nicht auch Teil des operations-Teams ist.

Ich kann nicht erkennen, dass phpBB/fluxBB die von dir geforderte Funktion, dass verschobene Threads in allen Unterforen historisch erhalten bleiben, unterstützt - zumindest sehe ich nicht, dass irgendwo eine sichtbare Kennzeichnung dargestellt ist.

In der Datenstruktur, die ich für Threads und Kategorien sehe, gibt es im Standard scheinbar keine Information darüber in welchen Kategorien ein Thread existiert hat sondern nur umgekehrt, sprich, welche Threads in einer Kategorie sind. Das zu Erweitern ist meiner Meinung nach nichts was durch Umlegen eines Schalters erledigt ist.

K

I have a similar question: what happens if a community has requested a subcat here and is going to be created after that deadline of 30th September? (created afterwards as in the discussion/voting occurs during that deadline.)
Will the content of that community be transfered at random place and then move into the subcat when it gets created?

Irrelevant question, because I’m still kinda confused on this merge process, will the old posts be on read-only mode or normally editable? (although I guess not editable since in Discourse there’s an edit period which will be past gone for those, except if it becomes wiki post I guess :p)

1 Like