finding roundabouts

Hi, I can’t seem to be able to retrieve all roundabouts within an area :frowning:

I know there is at least one roundabout in here (margaretenaue) but how do i select it? The following yields no results.

<osm-script>
  <union>
      <query type="node">
      <has-kv k="junction" v="roundabout"/>
        <bbox-query
        s="52.58011"
        w="13.43043"
        n="52.58911"
        e="13.43943"
        />
      </query>
  </union>
  <print mode="body"/>
  <recurse type="down"/>
  <print mode="skeleton"/>
</osm-script>

According to the history the “highway=roundabout” is last year removed by a mapper. The reason was: is not a roundabout, e.g. no right of way.

While this junction certainly is not a roundabout in the junction=roundabout sense, junction=circular could be applied.

It’s not as widespread though, so I suppose you won’t find that many cases where it’s tagged accordingly. At least in Berlin.

Thank you for your answers.

I am really looking for a generic way to list roundabouts, just like I can list traffic signals with “highway=traffic_signals”. (not specifically for that roundabout in Berlin, that was a test).

Any ideas?

Can I have a list of anything which is (“junction=circular” OR "junction=“roundabout”). How to combine them using the XML query format? Is the following correct? (it yields no results):

<osm-script>
  <union>
      <query type="node">
 <has-kv k="junction" v="roundabout"/>
 <has-kv k="junction" v="circular"/>
        <bbox-query
        s="52.58011"
        w="13.43043"
        n="52.58911"
        e="13.43943"
        />
      </query>
  </union>
  <print mode="body"/>
  <recurse type="down"/>
  <print mode="skeleton"/>
</osm-script>

junction=roundabout is a tag for ways, not for nodes

That’s interesting and explains a lot! Thanks, for probably the most informative and constructive answer I got so far. Hopefully, it will guide me in deciphering the API one day. It’s a small step for my pilgrimage but eventually I will accomplish what I set out for: manage to get the roundabouts. Really excited, thanks again.

Just in case you don’t know it: highway=mini_roundabout is used on nodes, see also https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Junction

Thanks, I managed to get roundabouts using your suggestion and :

[out:json];            
(
way(35.101322,33.303436,35.151971,33.356408)[junction=roundabout]
);
out body;
>;
out skel qt;

This gives me :

{
  "type": "way",
  "id": 4833317,
  "nodes": [
  ],
  "tags": {
    "highway": "trunk",
    "junction": "roundabout",
    "lanes": "2",
    "surface": "asphalt"
  }
},

Great, but I only need a lat,lon for the centre of the roundabout, or, if too fussy, just any point on the roundabout.

I thought to just pick a node at random from the nodes list and enquire it. (Actually the above query also sends me the lat,lon of each node in the list)

Is this the proper way to do it?

I really do hope that we do not accept the right of way argument as a reason something is not a roundabout. In the Netherlands a roundabout default has no right of way (when on the roundabout) and traditionally never had right of way. Most are now signalled so that you do have right of way (when on the roundabout). But that is signalled by different signs than the sign saying something is a roundabout! Right of way does not have anything to do with roundabout or not.

I don’t know how it is in other countries but in the Netherlands and I think most, if not all, European countries, a roundabout is signalled with this sign or something similar.

In Germany a roundabout (“Kreisverkehr”) implies right of way, and I think that is the usual meaning of the sign you mentioned in most European countries.

The Vienna convention specifies a general “right-before-left” rule. So traffic on the roundabout has right of way. You can assume that most European countries have accepted this.

As for Gemany, StVO paragraph 8 says

Nowhere it is said that only using sign 215 implies right-of-way. You have to use sign 205 to make sure right-of-way is given to the roundabout. So there is no implied right-of-way by only the use of sign 215.

Yes, seems that the sign 215 alone doesn’t say that the circular way is a junction=roundabout.
On the other hand the tag junction=roundabout means that you have the right of way.

way(35.101322,33.303436,35.151971,33.356408)[junction=roundabout];
out center;

Incorrect. Sign 215 does say it is a roundabout

IMHO it is wrong to state that (also in the wiki) and the wiki wording is doubly wrong because

That is usually the case with roundabouts. Also roundabouts that do not have right-of-way do not need to have any signals because right-of-way is then controlled by the general rule “right before left”.
This is a roundabout. The traffic signals are only there for the bicycle crossings, they do not prevent going round. The roundabout does not have right-of-way.

What is and is not a roundabout should controlled by the sign associated with it, not how the right-of-way is.

mmd, Thank you very much. got the centre.

You did not get my point. I don’t care what exactly the sign says (junction=roundabout or junction=circular).
What I try to point out is that we can assume that a way which is tagged with junction=roundabout has the right of way because that’s what the tag means besides the fact that the way is circular. The wiki says this at least since 2012.

And IMHO the wiki is wrong. There is a clear signal in most if not all highway codes from countries around the world that says “this is a roundabout”. To start making our own definition (a roundabout is only a roundabout when it has right-of-way) is confusing.
That’s like saying “oh no, this is not a motorway because xyz, even though the sign says motorway”.