Finding new images for OSM Wiki - help welcomed!

Is any of them for AED in vending machine? Seems to be rather AED and vending machines in one photo. And on File:Wakayamashi-nankai-soba.jpg - Wikimedia Commons you do not really see anything.

Though maybe given its use in huge galleries it can be simply removed without replacement.

I think that it is fine if nothing is visible on the photo itself (I have taken some photos arranged to illustrate situation not happening in reality, for example https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Concrete_steps_without_visible_ramp.jpg/640px-Concrete_steps_without_visible_ramp.jpg was cropped to exclude ramp behind it - see OpenStreetMap - and File:Concrete steps without visible ramp.jpg - Wikimedia Commons was used for illustration of “no ramp” situation)

TBH I hadn’t scanned the photos closely…

On File:Wakayamashi-nankai-soba.jpg - Wikimedia Commons it says “vending machine with AED built-in” on the side.

Now that I’ve taken a look at the photos, it seems File:Oumi Railway Oumi-Hachiman Station gate.jpg - Wikimedia Commons is the only other photo with an AED in a vending machine. It has the same notice on the side too, partially covered. There’s another notice at the top saying the same thing (partially covered in the other photo).

But yeah, neither photo is particularly great…

I thought you wanted one with an info board/plaque stating the thing is a camp site… If no boards are needed it’s easier to find some. :smiley:

ideally: something that would make clear that it is a designated camping site

this platform with tent is not ideal, but it is something

I don’t know where the dialog you posted appears, but when I upload it when editing a page, I don’t see any field like that.

2 Likes

one could argue it is already like this, the question is whether it is safe to assume that the uploader is the author.

@dieterdreist Good point. It’s definitely good to ask for confirmation.

I don’t know where the dialog you posted appears, but when I upload it when editing a page, I don’t see any field like that.

@_0174 That screenshot was fromSpecial:Upload, which is accessible via a link in the sidebar. But you’re right, the form you posted, which is built into the editing toolbar, does not have the same field!

2 Likes

Currently looking for a specific image for:

permanent turnstile in a field File:Barrier drehkreuz.JPG - OpenStreetMap Wiki for Tag:barrier=turnstile - OpenStreetMap Wiki (or maybe indoor one also would be fine?)

---- repeated:

Fast food in India, preferably McDonald to replace File:Fast food India.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki

AED in vending machine - to replace File:AED Japan Vending.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki (there is one candidate, but not great)

Place clearly allowing camping but has no infrastructure whatsoever, to replace File:Camp site backcountry.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki (if nothing can be found then one of images listed there can be used, maybe File:Refuge Cove, Wilsons Promontory National Park 12.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki - but it will be barely visible as a miniature). EDIT: now asked also on Commons

In all cases - you can also take photo and upload it to Wikimedia Commons! (they have a better upload process than OSM Wiki, mostly because their community is much much bigger and centers around file uploads)

R2. Did you consider ファイル:Vender equips aed.jpg - Wikipedia ? Very low resolution. Few choice for integrated ones.

1 Like

sadly this one is on Japanese Wikipedia (not Wikimedia Commons, so not directly usable) and my Japanese is nonexisting, so I am not sure whether it can be migrated to Wikimedia.

And it is not so great to justify hunting down someone with knowledge of Japanese and copyright.

Maybe we can try contacting Japanese OSM community and ask them to take new picture and upload to Commons.

That’s why I asked first. Don’t know how nor whether it is accepted to move from Wiki to Commons. It has both GNU 1.2, and CC By-SA 3.0 added by Wikipedia:Licensing update - Wikipedia which means it should be worth studying?

1 Like

it is accepted but requires review of situation what requires at least knowledge of language.

For example license may be falsely stated - I have seen images tagged with CC-BY-SA 2.0 license template and description “found in image search, maybe copyrighted”.

Or maybe uploader is known for being really confused about copyright.

1 Like

What about:

Such a thing is called paalkamperen in Dutch and using that you can find on Commons:

2 Likes

@emvee - thanks so much, these two are great replacements! I used both of them.

so there is now just a new case:

something to replace File:20100814 170027 IMG 2624.JPG - OpenStreetMap Wiki depicting car that tried to use winter road during summer and failed would be nice (use at Proposed features/Winter roads - OpenStreetMap Wiki so not critical - but replacing would be much nicer)

and a single repeated case:

AED in vending machine - to replace File:AED Japan Vending.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki (there is one candidate, but not great)

In all cases - you can also take photo and upload it to Wikimedia Commons! (they have a better upload process than OSM Wiki, mostly because their community is much much bigger and centers around file uploads)

1 Like

That is an easy one:

I had already a look for an AED in a vending machine but that is giving more AED’s besides vending machines apart from this one:

Would be good to make a cut-out of the left side as there is now to much other distracting stuff on the picture.

1 Like

this seems to be still moving, not stuck

For something really stuck, see:

It follows more the original picture where also no road/path is visible.

I am now looking for a good replacement for File:Wicket gate.jpg - OpenStreetMap Wiki within a fence

Looking for a small gate for pedestrians, without extra confusing context

Help would be welcomed! (taking a own picture also may be a good idea)

I’d look no further than the English OSM wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Abarrier%3Dwicket_gate. There are two examples on there.

As an aside the term “wicket gate” isn’t used much in modern English - they’d normally be described as some sort of “pedestrian access”. However, there are more than a few cases where archaic English lives on in OSM, even relatively modern inventions like https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3De-cigarette - these are almost uniformly referred to as “vape shops” in the UK.

1 Like

Thanks!

I am now looking for an alternative image of bike pods: File:Bikepods.JPG - OpenStreetMap Wiki

And closeups of bicycle signposts: File:Ncn1-Cramond.JPG - OpenStreetMap Wiki (I have not looked hard for this one but help is also appreciated)

1 Like