Export woes

Hi there,
Firstly - what a fantastic resource!! Congrats and thankyou for making it available.
I’m trying to download *.osm files of some Sth Pacific islands (Tongatapu, Tonga; Upolu, Samoa and Viti Levu, Fiji). My problem is once I get to the scale at which the export becomes an option (export button appears) and I hit the export button … I get an error message saying that the webpage is down.

I can scale in further and save the streetmap as 6 -8 separate bit maps but joining them is a nightmare.

Is this user error on my part - have I forgotten something? or is there a prob somewhere, if so, what can I do?
Many thanks x

The export option on the main website it not a viable option for large downloads: this uses the main API call so will be restricted to a maximum of a quarter of a degree square or 50,000 nodes whichever is smaller. You are better off downloading one of the relevant files from Geofabrik or using Overpass(-turbo).

A useful easy to use tool for manipulating these files (e.g., chopping out the area you are interested in from a larger file) is osmconvert.

For more information on these see the wiki.

Geofabrik is here: http://download.geofabrik.de/

If you need a really specific area, get josm, get the polygon plugin, and “cut out” the area you need from a larger extract with your custom poly:

osmosis --read-pbf file=in.osm.pbf --bp file=boundary.poly --write-pbf out.osm.pbf

The error message itself is buggy, it should actually read “You requested too many nodes (limit is 50000). Either request a smaller area, or use planet.osm”. The fix for the error message will probably be rolled out in the near future. Bottom line is that the export function is not a viable option in your case.