Estonian category

Category name

Estonia category

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Subcategory I guess. Just like all the others.

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Estonian mappers. Currently there is no good channel for us. Only the talk-ee mailing list which is quite silent (6 posts in 2022). Discussion happens in changeset comments instead.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

I don’t understand the question, but a place to converse in Estonian would be nice.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Just a defunct mailing list.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

As I said, 6 posts in 2022. 19 in 2021. But there are several active mappers who like to chat in changeset comments, and we plan to grow the community, so we need an accessible point of entry.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

We will post a message to the mailing list.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

We’ll take the general guidelines thank you.

List the usernames of the category moderators

Initially just:

• me (@Zverik). I live in Estonia, map it every day, and have an experience in moderating other communities.
  • @qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq who is quite active and willing to participate in the new community.

The list might change during the discussion, but this would be a good start.

I support this request because we need an easly accessible place to raise a general question or post something about Estonia. In my opinion mailing lists are not as accessible for younger generations and those who know nothing about them and the forum is going away at some point. I’d be happy if someone else would like to be a moderator, but since Estonian community is small and there probably won’t be any actual moderation required, I’m more than happy to be assigned this role.

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for an additional proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role (at least 3 mods are asked), it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Thanks again!

This is not urgent, so a week is fine. I’d ask to pass this with just two moderators: I estimate the size of the active community as around 10 people max, so three would be a lot :slight_smile:

I’ve sent private messages to some of the mappers active lately in Estonia so that they could participate or suggest themselves as moderators. I’ll also create a topic on the old forum.

This may make everything slower, but let’s not make it like 2 guys found a free spot to grab power to themselves secretly.

The list of people I’ve sent the message to

Chris Kerr
fghj753
Pikse
djurjev
MarkusPuu
aln2
umKaardistaja
dgmapping
Karljohan
mapfixer3000
tshikaboom
mikaeldui
waterproof_19m
Apirnus
jemm
Bobropiton
Naya Kabir

1 Like

I’ll also create a topic on the old forum.

Looks like it’s not possible anymore? All the reason we need a new subcategory.

I could be a backup moderator, but I don’t speak Estonian. I’ll probably be active a few times per week or so :blush:

I’ve been mapping on various platforms for over 10 years, and am currently adding greeneries and sidewalks to central Tallinn, hoping to make everything look as green as Mustamäe :blush:

2 Likes

Hello!

Thanks for the message @qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq , it is nice to have a prospective place in the future to discuss stuff. I wouldn’t want to take on the role of moderator myself, but I’ll give my thumbs up to those who would and wholeheartedly support this initiative. :slight_smile:
Will be following this discussion in any case.
Cheers!

Mustamäe still needs some updates to greeneries, at least for grass parts. Took some time for me and someone else who at some point made big chunks of rough greeneries. Thanks for whoever that was!

1 Like

Not up for mod stuff myself but can help with stuff around Mustamäe if there happens to be some questions around it. Local there, might know stuff here and there, even visit and check stuff out when have time or possible.

Usually making notes in OSM as its simplier for me to edit stuff later or talk on other notes. But since im newbie, any help required on future on harder stuff which on big wiki contradictory sea of data.

Best regards!

A post was split to a new topic: How is reviewing my changes?

I’ll answer in a personal message. Let’s keep this topic about creating the category.

+1 to the topic, it is meant to the “Communities” like Finland for example Suomi (Finland) - OpenStreetMap Community ?

I’m not sure how to bring more traffic here than to the silent down talk-ee list (The Talk-ee Archives). The web forums are almost as vintage as email lists nowadays, replaced by groups in FB or online messaging channels (telegram, discord, slack etc), and I’ve reached my personal limit of channels to follow long ago. Maybe there is no need to even try - it is open to join, and low traffic here is not really so big big issue than it is on messaging channels (no updates in few weeks seems to be lethal to them).

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @Zverik @qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq and @mikaeldui to be category moderators for the “Estonia” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)

0 voters

1 Like

Some remarks:
the letter sent 8 days ago by Vladimir via talk-ee to my email landed in spam (gmail), so there is a possibility that some may not have seen that letter.
As already mentioned the number of active mappers in Estonia is low, so this category will rather see few posts that require little to no moderation effort. Most communication happens anyway via private messages or in other channels. Yet a better place to hold public discussions than the mailing list would not hurt.

1 Like

Tervist!
Thank you for your message, qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq!
I am very glad to see you all here. However, in my opinion, the forum format has become a little obsolete. Therefore, I would be happy to join a group in Telegram (if there is one or will be created) or in any other messenger. And it’s not very convenient - russian and serbian channels are available there (by chance, I take part in communication in both), but there is no Estonian one, and I have to check the messages also on the forum. It’s a little inconvenient.

1 Like

The problem is, estonians don’t use Telegram :slight_smile:

The #communities:ee category is now created and the approved moderators have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your language, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!

1 Like