Enabling mailing list mode

Reducing duplicating is a good thing. I’ve suggested turning on mailing list mode on this forum since the start, and am willing to help “test drive” that if you want to explore that option. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve unlocked the setting, so users can opt-in from their profile to enable the mailing list mode individually. Not enabling for everyone because not everyone will want emails for every message.

4 Likes

I’ve started using mailing list mode, by replying to emails. It seems to be working.

But I can’t see how to create a new topic via email. I think you need to enable some settings Create topics via email? - meta - The Rust Programming Language Forum Can you enable that please?

1 Like

We haven’t enabled that yet. @Firefishy wanted to check a few things first.

As previously discussed that’s not enabled yet - it’s hard to do until we some idea of categories because we will need to pick an address for each category.

4 Likes

is there a setting to change the “to” header? Usually in mailing lists this is the list, while here it is my email, so they all look like email sent to me in person.

The most effective way to filter emails from mailing lists or discourse is using the List-Id header.

1 Like

Just to provide a bit of feedback - this appears to be working well for me, and has the advantage of providing a concrete link to anything that I might want to flag and come back to look at later (something that isn’t easy with the web UI).

1 Like