Edit messages time limitation

If you use the forums via email, you don’t really need the advantages of TL2, because they only apply to web ui actions (like edit). If you often need to edit from the web ui, then you’ll get TL2 easily.

Getting to trust level 2 is not too complex:

Get to trust level 2 by

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Does this include people who read via email? Each email often has links to images. If your email client loads then, then the discourse software could track that. I presume not, but it would be good to check

(I also agree that it’s a little creepy)

I’ve asked and it seems emails don’t count as reading. In any case, as I mentioned, TL2 additional rights are related to the web ui actions, something a person interacting via email won’t use.

This is not correct for a user who usually replies per e-mail and only wants to use the web interface for occasionally editing a post.

I feel we are talking about very rare use case, how many people who use the forum only using email need to edit posts after 24hs?

If this is something occasionally then a mod can help this person edit the post or turn it into a wiki so it can be edited as many times as possible.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Turning off user statistics

Diese Frage wurde noch nicht wirklich beantwortet.

Diese Vorgehensweise möchte ich ausdrĂŒcklich unterstĂŒtzen.

In diesem Zusammenhang eine weitere Frage:
Ist es möglich, usern, die teils schon jahrelang im alten Forum aktiv sind und sich jetzt neu hier anmelden, gleich TL2 zu vergeben?

1 Like

Zum Spam-Thema kann vielleicht @Tordanik etwas sagen. Generell mĂŒssen neue User erst freigeschaltet werden, bevor ihre Posts öffentlich sichtbar werden.

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=852434#p852434

BeitrĂ€ge lassen sich im alten Forum beliebig lange Ă€ndern, was mangels Historie fĂŒr andere nicht mehr gut nachvollziehbar ist.

On the old forum, we had indeed set up a requirement for new users’ posts to be unlocked by a moderator after one particularly annoying spam wave a few years ago. The amount of spam decreased afterwards, but a spam post was still caught in that moderation system once a week or so. Most of that was “smart” spam, i.e. phrased such that it resembled a genuine post at first glance.

At the same time, this safety measure causes some confusion and frustration for new users. So I hope that something like this is no longer necessary on this new platform due to the better moderation tools of Discourse (including the ability for spam posts to be very quickly hidden by users’ reports, not just by moderator intervention).

Would it be ok to increase the time limit of TL1 to, let’s say, one week?

I understand that TL2 is not that complex to reach, but for users who don’t join/explore the forum that frequently, it would be hard for them to reach it. And also from TL0 to reach TL1 it’s pretty easy, but in the case of spammer that would be most likely caught before reaching it.

And it’s not certain that all users who will need to edit their posts will ask the mods to assist them with that. I’m pretty sure there are quite some users out there who face such an issue, but instead of asking anywhere, they just get annoyed and don’t proceed. And there’s no indication in the UI that they have specific time limit in order to edit their posts.

Getting to TL1 can be automated by a bot easily, because it just requires spending a few minutes on the site reading, so difficult to catch.

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

That’s the reason TL2 is required by default. Also note that TL2 users can make their post wiki, so it can always be edited.

The assumption here is that if people is still TL1 and want to edit a message and they can’t, they will ask. We have seen this already, people who really need to edit a message have asked for assistance.

How many TL1 users need to edit their message regularly right now? It seems this is not a wide need at the moment.

1 Like

According to Understanding Discourse Trust Levels making a post wiki requires TL3.

That explains a lot. You’re an active member of the forum and even a category moderator, but you can’t even create a wiki as a moderator for the subforum you’re moderating. Just because you’ve only created four topics of your own so far.

:unamused:

This is something that we changed for these forums intentionally to allow TL2 to do this.

TL2 doesn’t require you to create 5 topics:

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

You have misunderstood me: I mean wiki post requires TL 3 an TL 3 requires 5 posts minimum.
When did you change the requirement for wiki posts from TL 3 to TL 2?

I have had TL2 for 28 days and I am also a category moderator. 14 days ago I opened a topic in the category that I moderate myself, but I couldn’t make a wiki post out of it. I was annoyed by this and had to seek help.

Mammi

I can’t remember when that was changed, but it was a result of people in need of making their post wiki AFAIK.

That sounds good to me but how do I make my post a wiki? I can’t find any button or option allowing me to do that 
 :thinking:

Click the three dots, then the wrench symbol, which shows below the option the option “Create Wiki”

Thanks mate 
 good onya 
 :upside_down_face: 
 usually I don’t use these buttons for my own posts exept for making changes, so I have not even searched if some magic button is hidden there 
 I gonna wear sackcloth and ashes for the rest of the day 
 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like