DWG username impersonation

The latest Taginfo lists 1,479,472 occurrences of name:ru, which is still 100,000 less than there were recently. Do we know why that is?

This is starting to morph into a general discussion of the deletion of Russian name tags, less tangential to the impersonation of a DWG member. I am considering renaming the thread or splitting it just so you folks know if this continues for a time.

1 Like

This has started happening just recently. Majority of the thread is about impersonation.

1 Like

Some sort of Telegram “decolonization” operation…

I saw this user “Anti1982” leave a (not) nice comment in a changeset from the impersonator… lo and behold, the nastiness of the comment outed himself as a vandal. Here’s a specific example near Sumy: Way History: ‪Кленова вулиця‬ (‪239299960‬) | OpenStreetMap

The changeset contains a link to a Telegram channel which then links to a website with a large list of objects in Ukraine that need to be “decommunized”.

Edit: I am talking about the name:ru tag removal, not the street renaming in general. The name:ru tag has been alternatingly added/removed in the last 30 days. In fact, the change of the “name” tag from Ватутіна to Кленова and the removal of name:ru at the same time probably didn’t trigger any automatic checks, so I think this is a relevant edge case.

Could this be streets that were officially renamed? The images posted in the Telegram channel look like official documents, although I couldn’t check their authenticity.

1 Like

Indeed, the municipality was renamed these objects at the end of 2022
https://rada.info/upload/users_files/05383323/docs/888a0fa638a8c11aa71c60a50ebcdb29.pdf

I would be happy if the order of discussions followed the guidelines and addressed the changeset author first rather than posting here, of course without any words “vandal”. Although it is true that in source provided by Anti there was no stamp on the document and there was the word “Проєкт” (Project), which means that was still considered, but not accepted yet

This thread was started when an impersonation account mass-removed Russian-language names (name:ru) both inside and outside Ukraine. These removals continue. It is perhaps understandable that people are now getting twitchy about any such edits.

1 Like

According the Neis daily change set matrix this person, currently in a block expiring in a dozen hours as of this writing, has/had done 380 CSs today.July 25, 2023.:triumph:.

Not from that account they don’t…

2 Likes

That sockpuppet account is only blocked from editing for, at the time of writing, 12 more hours.

Actually, per post above yours, Andy took that up to 10 years.

Trying to turn part of this topic into something constructive, see my post here:

4 Likes

Andy took that up to 10 years.

10 years is reasonable, people grow up sometimes.

Another one: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tuwr_PretObulation1538/history

As it stands, it’s quite evident that new accounts removing the Russian language tag will continue as long as the conflict persists. As a temporary measure, is it possible to block any such modifications to the database?

looks reverted already

no, it will last as long as this vandal will waste their and our time to set up new accounts

not really, any method has obvious workarounds or will be even worse problem by blocking legitimate edits

one thing that may be done for start is to setup automatic detection tool of such vandalisms, coupled with revert tool run after quick check (maybe someone has such tool already)

that would make fixing damage easier and make more clear to vandal that it is not going to work

2 Likes

This is probably automated. It is wasting more time on our side than on their side. It might continue forever unless there are some effective countermeasures.

5 Likes

Oops! I didn’t notice the local-language (UA) street name was renamed. There’s a ton of back and forth in the way history regarding removing the name:ru tag which is was the only thing I was looking at. There was a concurrent street renaming which seems consistent with the on-the-ground rule.

Note the back and forth changes with reasons such as “unwanted data” in reference to name:ru tags.

The changeset author both renamed the street and removed the name:ru tag at the same time. You’ll notice this changeset author specifically left a nasty comment talking about removing the Russian language.

I will probably develop some solution soon, just after I finish with the Automatyczne znakowanie przejść dla pieszych oraz przejazdów rowerowych

1 Like

Would this also prohibit mixed Ogham and Latin?

What about {any alphabet} + emoji?

Thinking about no one in particular of course. :smiley:

It’s a list of specific disallowed pairs, such as “Cyrillic with Greek” or “Tibetan with anything that isn’t Tibetan”. Ogham isn’t on the list, although Runic is.