Dual-language street signs in some Republics of Russia?

I’ve recently stumbled upon this article when I got lost reading wikipedia again:

Would anybody know if this means that in (some) republics that do have a co-official language (like Tatar) mentioned in the table below, the roads (and other signs, such as bus stops or even shops) could be signed in two languages, e.g. Russian and Tatar?

This is probably difficult to answer so generally… asked differently, does anyone know of an instance where there is this case? Or can anyone think of a reason why this can never be the case?

Also, slightly off-topic but related: How autonomous are the republics really? The article about the republics is a little vague, it just mentions that they have lost much of their autonomy in recent years but not what exactly.

Apart from the right to define official languages, is there anything regarding their autonomy relevant to OpenStreetMap? For example, the right to define own traffic regulations? This is for example the case in all states of India, United States, Australia, Canada, Micronesia and even the “countries” within the United Kingdom (Jersey, Scotland etc.) but not in China, despite its size (except Hong Kong etc.)

Federal law about language on road signs: https://base.garant.ru/10148970/74d7c78a3a1e33cef2750a2b7b35d2ed/

Google translate:

Article 23. Language of names of geographical objects, inscriptions, road and other signs

1. The writing of the names of geographical objects and the design of inscriptions, road and other signs are made in the state language of the Russian Federation. The republics have the right to write the names of geographical objects and design inscriptions, road and other signs in the state languages of the republics along with the state language of the Russian Federation.

2. Subjects of the Russian Federation, if necessary, have the right to write the names of geographical objects and design inscriptions, road and other signs, along with the state language of the Russian Federation, in the languages of the peoples of the Russian Federation in the territories of their compact residence.

3. The procedure for using languages when writing the names of geographical objects and designing inscriptions, road and other signs is determined in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation.

2 Likes

Example from wikipedia: Двуязычные указатели — Википедия

Another from the Internet: Первые дорожные указатели на якутском языке появились в Хангаласском улусе | News.Ykt.Ru: служба новостей

2 Likes

Oh, so even outside of the republics… but I guess outside the republics, it will be somewhat more uncommon because the % of people speaking other languages is small.

I was asking by the way, because in regions where dual-language (street-)signs are possible, StreetComplete could allow selecting these languages in the input form for name signs.

In regards to traffic regulations, I have been creating this table of default speed limits per vehicle type per road type per country/state https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits , currently there is (just) an entry for all of Russia. (Try it out here: Legal Default Speed Limits )

no. the rules of the road are the same for the whole of the Russian Federation

Dual-language street names and shop names are wide spread in Bashkiria for example.
See this: Google Maps
or this:
Google Maps
(Дарыухана and Аптека both means pharmacy in Bashkir and Russian respectively).