Drawing building versus placing a point

I’m new to this project and love the idea. I’ve been adding local business in my area and am wondering what is considered the best way to add a business. Should I be drawing around the perimeter of it and adding the building=yes along with the appropriate shop= tag, or should I just be placing a point on it and labeling it with the shop tag?

I’ve been drawing around the building when they are larger businesses like Home Depot and not around smaller ones, but was hoping to see what was considered best practice.

Thanks,

Jeff

Best thing ofcourse is to draw the building. But if you can’t determine what and where it’s outline is then a point is good enough. There are areas with high-res Yahoo! aerial imagery and people even draw the outlines of residential buildings in those places.

Thanks. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Actually, one more thing that I just came across. Let’s say there is one physical building that has two stores in it. Do I draw the main building and just have building=yes and then have 2 points for the 2 stores within it? This is also relavent for a shopping mall where the main mall is drawn as a building with the name of the mall but there are obviously dozens of stores within it that should be stored as points I’m assuming.

Thanks,

Jeff

You can choose to add a node to the building where you can enter is. Assuming it has two entries, one for each store, this might be a good place to add the store name. If there is only one entrance you can choose to add a node where the store is or add the names of the stores to the building polygon, e.g. name=storeY;storeX (note the ‘;’ between the two values). But if the building itself has a name then that is not possible an you could resort back to the two nodes solution.

So lots of options :wink: