Downloading OSM area/regional maps for offline use

Hello,
I’m a new user of OSM, a long distance walker, living in the UK and I’m trying to understand how I can download maps for offline use.
I’m using an app called GPX Viewer Pro and need downloadable maps as the context/background onto which I can place the different GPX route files that I want to walk.
Any and all assistance that can be offered by other walkers/hikers will be greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance ???

According to their website you should be able to download OSM-based maps with GPX Viewer Pro (although I wouldn’t be surprised ff this doesn’t require a subscription).

Alternatives for viewing OSM maps offline include OSMAnd (and various forks which allow one to add maps without a purchase) and OrganicMaps.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I’ve purchased the PRO version and offline maps can be added without purchase, but one is required to provide the tile server url addresses in xyz format.

This requires a level of knowledge that I don’t possess, hence my asking for help here.

But I’ll explore your suggestions and see if I can obtain the tiles I need for my walks.

Many thanks again for your advice, much appreciated

Locus Map for Android works quite well offline. For downloadable maps (for Locus or other apps), see https://www.openandromaps.org/. Locus also provides their own maps, which are similar, but I prefer OAM. Display is quite customizable with themes; there’s even an Ordnance Survey-like theme for the Brits. :slight_smile:

I also like OpenAndroMaps for hiking. It is easy to download a map of a whole country for offline use, with no need to worry about identifying a particular set of tiles.

The style has the advantage of being aimed at hikers and other outdoor users, e.g. waymarked trails are highlighted. In contrast, some apps that allow you to download tiles as a background may only provide access to the “standard” layer on OSM, which is a general-purpose map without a particular focus on outdoor recreation.

Many thanks to Viajero and alan_gr for your recommendations to use Openandromaps, this is precisely the kind of advice I needed from people’s direct experience.
I’ll be working with this source now rather than fiddling about with url addresses.

Interesting tile addresses are a suboptimal way of getting maps (they involve downloading lots of bitmaps) & may be particularly poorly suited for walking applications where one ones lots of detail. They are actually quite simple, e.g., “https://tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png”. If you do find a way to use the OSM one, i’d suggest only downloading small areas (e.g., for a days walking) as it any more may be contrary to the tile usage policy of the OSM main site.

Incidentally as a UK walker you may be interested in an on-line map is available with a strong focus on things which interest walkers (including LDPs). This is maintained by Andy Townsend (SomeoneElse), at least in part because he is a keen walker.