Does information=board really requires tourism=information tag?

I think that most people do use tourism=information in such cases. There’s a bit of usage of amenity=notice_board, but not much.

If you want to see usage of information=board without tourism=information move this query over your area of interest and run it.

1 Like

Never pay too much attention to the semantics of the key (or even the tag). Once a usage is established then it is always best to run with it. Over time information may be enough on its own, but it will always have a parentage from tourism. The time to worry about this sort of thing is when the established semantics of already tagged elements differs significantly from that which you are mapping (not true in this case). I wrote about one such case recently.

(An aside: I have always found tourism=hotel annoying, because I have spent far more times in hotels when I’ve been working than when I’ve been a tourist).

6 Likes

Allow me to disagree with you. It’s always time to discuss semantics if there’s a way to improve and organize the data. A legal announcement board or an obituary board is not a touristic thing and should have a better scheme.
BTW, it seems I’m not the only one with this question. See:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:information%3Dboard
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:board_type#Legal_notice_boards_are_specifically_not_for_tourism

5 Likes

If you are travelling for working purpose (which I did extensively for many years) you are also some kind of tourist (= on tour), not a holiday tourist, but a working tourist. From that point of view a hotel has always to do with tourism.

2 Likes

We are all just guest here on earth, I read in an obituary.

1 Like

Not to side track the discussion, but I had a close friend years ago who managed hotels and at least according to them most of their business was from locals. Usually either prostitutes or people who wanted a non-descript place to hook up. My guess would be if you throw in people who are visiting the area on business and/or the unhoused then tourists are probably an extremely small percentage of the hotel industries costumer base overall. Especially if your talking about areas that aren’t touristy to begin with or where it’s only seasonal. So an argument could definitely be made that tourism isn’t the best top level tag for hotels.

I might start using that. Parish notices etc. have never seemed remotely interesting to any sort of tourist.

2 Likes

There is already advertising=board + message=

“Advertising” is different from “Information”. I wouldn’t go that way.

amenity=notice_board would seem a good alternative, but the wiki clearly states not to use it (no idea why).

2 Likes

amenity=notice_board would seem a good alternative, but the wiki clearly states not to use it (no idea why).

seems it was introduced here
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Ainformation%3Dboard&type=revision&diff=1983221&oldid=1876927
I would ask the mapper if they’re ok with removing it and then remove it, or continue discussing here, according to the outcome.

I completely agree and sympathize with your comments.
And we’ve been seeing similar discussions lately. - One of the similar types of discussions
But unfortunately, there are already too many contradictions in the OSM wiki and I think it’s already ‘CHAOS’.
And whenever someone brings it up, the conclusion seems to be ‘it can’t be helped’ or that they have given up on the possibility of fundamental improvement.
So, if it were me, I would just go along with it or use it as I want to use it.

I can almost guarantee you that no one will be able to help you.

1 Like

Most towns and villages have public notice boards where locals can learn of events taking place, to look out for a lost cat.

They are not advertising and are not aimed at tourists

5 Likes

I agree, that’s why I proposed to remove the warning in the wiki

3 Likes

But that’s what message= is used for. Isn’t events part of advertising? Lost & found is still advertising for something people should know and do. They are published on newpaper ads columns anyway. Advertising is not limited to commercials. Missing person, call for witness in traffic incidents, etc are all advertising. advertising= represents the advertising devices, which can be used in different purposes. Does an amenity=notice_board suddenly become an advertising=board if an ad is stuck on it? Or vice versa for notices?

tourism=information + information=board is usually more static and dedicated, about some topic near itself.

No, but advertising is often against the terms of use and will be removed.

1 Like

Of course you can argue that advertising is a kind of information, but semantics aside, I would say that advertising in OSM is well defined as any kind of commercial publicity.
Your example of “an amenity=notice_board suddenly become an advertising=board if an ad is stuck on it” is a limit situation which must be decided based on survey and on the mapper’s judgement, but the important here is the board’s purpose, not the occasional use made by someone that passes by.

1 Like

I would think it also covers political advertising

That’s why I mentioned a possible criteria. information=board is mostly fixed info about a locally relevant topic. The content of adveritisng=board is usually always changing, and not necessarily occurring locally.

Perhaps this is a language translation issue, but when I hear “advertising”, I think of commercial services, not noncommercial stuff like “have you seen this cat”

1 Like

Sure, commercials are the most prevalent form of advertising. But other purposes can still be said as a part of it. As I said, They end up in a newspaper classified ads section. What are they being, if not ads?

Aside from political propaganda, NGO or charity fundraising and blood donation pleads are still ads. despite not being “commercial” activities.
Maybe I should put emphasis on advertising= referring to advertising devices, not advertisements.

Ultimately, advertising= is something that’s widely used. It won’t get lost in the masses of amenity= or man_made= , and doesn’t have to be weighted for importance there.
Allow me give one more example. Apart from the attribute baseball:scoreboard=, there are 12 amenity=scoreboard and leisure=scoreboard respectively in limited use for the feature. Do we need to argue about how it’s not about “leisure” again, when it is a workable method to group sports features?
Putting notice boards in amenity= or man_made= makes no improvement to the organization, and arguably worse than being grouped in tourism=.
Another important aspect is there doesn’t need to be a =*_board for every content. Looking at board_type= , other than =notice, =welcome_sign can be identified as different. advertising=sign is a viable alternative, despite the vaguely described differences. Do we need to discuss how school, park, or other facility signs are not “advertising” too? For another possible candidate for moving, =rules is mixed on its prominence.