Docker vs local installation

Hi everyone

We have a server with 64gb of Ram, and we want to have our own osm tile server and osm routing server which is also available using docker and can be installed locally, I have following questions regarding that (considering that we are just serving great Britain area)

1. should we use docker or local installation for production usages ?

2. how we can restrict the url https://myserver/{z}/{x}/{y}.png to only our users

3)Is 64gb of Ram enough for both tile and routing services for Great Britain

thanks in advance

Welcome, pretty general “IT” questions.

To restrict users there are 3 options I see:

1. Make the URL not too obvious, keep it out of the search engine, i.e. keep the URL “secret” and give it only to the users that are allowed to access it
  2. Restrict based on IP address, not that easy except for a limited number of situations
  3. Use a password and to make it user friendly, “cache that” using a cookie so that the user only “once” (till the cookies expires) has to log in.

Asking the question “Docker vs local” make me think you better chose for docker at least for the rendering.

For routing have a look at the requirements for the router that you chose.

check the:

That rather depends on how many requests you’re going to send it. For just the rendering database, 16GB is enough memory to create a rendering database for GB+IE, so 64MB should be plenty for GB alone. I can’t comment on routing - I suspect it’ll depend very much on what software you’re using for routing.

That’s going to depend on your local circumstances, I guess. If you want to host on-prem and have an existing Docker infrastructure, then Docker might be the choice for you. Personally for OSM I use a Cloud VPS for “live” servers and locally hosted VMs for testing. It doesn’t really matter - for rendering, switch2osm covers both.

Assuming here you’re talking about something on a Linux server in the cloud, then you have the usual options:

• Manage security at the apache level (or other web server, if using some other web server).
  • Use iptables/ufw to restrict to certain addresses, and ensure (perhaps via something like OpenVPN) that your users always go through those addresses.

Check the valhalla routing engine :

OSRM has a higher memory requirement.

1 Like

That rather depends on how many requests you’re going to send it. For just the rendering database, 16GB is enough memory to create a rendering database for GB+IE, so 64MB should be plenty for GB alone.

+1, from my experience it mostly depends on disk speed, with a fast disk and 16 GB of RAM I imported the full planet in a day what took at least a week with slower disks