Display problem with Mapsource 6.16.1

Maybe this? http://www.mail-archive.com/talk@openstreetmap.org/msg05500.html

Well, then your map has brocken background polygon. The same problem happens, if you compile from osm and use --transparent, or put transparent 0x4b into the Typfile. Therefore clearly something is broken in your mp file. I also had many contourline maps, that I converted from .img to mp with gpsmapedit (to delete problematic lines), and then recompiled with mkgmap. And it does not matter which version of mkgmap. They don’t shown any probs in Mapsource 6.16 or Basecamp 3 even though compiled from mp.

I made a pasteup of the map selection 0x4a polygons to show the offset when I compile with the --tdbfile option in mkgmap r1652. The gray shading indicates the map selection polygons in my TDB file. The TDB polygons are located correctly. The tan polygons are the ones in the IMG file. I reassigned types for the screenshot to make them read better. Doesn’t look “broken” to me, but maybe I don’t know what to look for. I’ll share my experiences with the mkgmap development group.

Charlie, I’ve run MP2OSM.py It did a nice job as far as it went, but I couldn’t get it to correctly tag my contour lines or wooded areas. I guess I’ll need to spend more time with your style and type tutorials.

FWIW, I was able to recreate this problem by using the generate-sea:mp option in mkgmap. I normally use the generate-sea:no-mp option because this creates a nice land polygon that covers the default Garmin yellow on my GPS (my GPS ignores any attempt to change the 0x4b polygon using a typ file). With generate-sea:no-mp, I have no problems. But with generate-sea:mp and MapSource 6.16.1 , I get similar problems to those shown above, with blurry images when zooming in and out that are only resolved by refreshing the cache.

This suggests that, as extremecarver says, it must be something to do with the background polygon.

Garmin have recently released MS v 6.16.2 and it almost fixes the problem. It still happens a little when zooming in a lot, but as suggested, turning the map on and off with Ctrl-G or, even easier, zooming out one step fixes it. Not perfect, but usable.

Sadly, they chose not to fix the old Waypoint selection bug which has caused me to lose countless waypoints.