Differing approaches to tagging vending machines for motor fuel dispensing have caused confusion

I have a couple gas/fuel stations around me (SE Michigan). They are a bunch of self-service pumps and a booth to pay cash or buy small items under a single roof.

Self-service at the pump or at the checkout does not turn a store or station into a vending machine.

I didn’t mean to imply that service or payment method was necessarily included in a station. Most have multiple payments types available. I was trying to say that a “station” implies one or more pumps feed by a large, often buried, tank and roof over them. Changing would break the assumption that amenity=fuel means pumps are available. Especially since it would no longer make sense in regions that rarely sell packaged fuel.

Update: The Thailand Community decided to use shop=fuel for drummed fuel shops and amenity=vending_machine + vending=fuel for vending machines. We made this choice because these fuel categories have very limited capacity, availability, and are not very convenient for most motorcar users. These tags are already supported by end-user applications like OsmAnd. It’s important to note that this decision doesn’t clash with the current wiki definitions.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Thailand#Fuel_Dispensing_Facilities

I think it’s a good time to wrap up this discussion. As you can see, every country has its own way of doing things, which makes it tough to find a single global consensus on this topic. But I want to give a big shout-out to everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas. Your global input means a lot to us!

3 Likes