Differences between amenity=bar and amenity=restaurant

Hello all. I’ve been taking a break from OSM editing lately, but am curious what others think on the subject.

Something which nags at me is the vagueness of the difference between amenity=bar and amenity=restaurant. According to the OSM wiki, it uses whether or not food is served as determining if a establishment is a bar or restaurant.

Do you see often miscategorization? For example here is a place called The Royal Room. It is tagged as a bar, but the food menu is much more substantial. Also it is registered with the city as a restaurant.

I see that there was never any proposal for amenity=bar, so it did not have a chance to go through the proposal process. Do you have any suggestions for updating the wiki to help reduce some of the vagueness in defining what a bar is?

1 Like

To me, it comes down to main intended purpose?

If you’ve gone there primarily to sit down & have a meal, but also have a drink while doing so, it’s a restaurant. But if you’ve gone to drink, & eating is a side factor, than it’s a bar.

Maybe way too simple, but works for me!

12 Likes

I think pubs are probably in between the two. They are less about strictly drinking and usually have more substantial finger food that is often ment to be shared with the those at the table. It is assumed that you are there to be social or at least actively watching the local game with others.

2 Likes

Yep, agree with you entirely.

For me amenity=bar and amenity=pub the customer usually goes for drinks. The pub is more intended for drinking beer where the bar is more like cocktails. There might be snacks on the menu as well. amenity=restaurant the customer can get full meals. You might also go there just for drinking, but might risk in some countries the waitress is not happy about it. :wink:

1 Like

Yes pubs tend to beer but not exclusively. Bar also don’t alway sell spirits either. Though bars are usually setup where patrons are facing the bartender. Any table seating tends to limited to 4 people.
Where as pub tend to have mostly tables from 4 or more patrons. They often have larger table meant for 10 or more.

Bars are designed for more intimate while pub encourage louder parties.

2 Likes

Yes pubs tend to beer but not exclusively. Bar also don’t alway sell spirits either. Though bars are usually setup where patrons are facing the bartender. Any table seating tends to limited to 4 people.
Where as pub tend to have mostly tables from 4 or more patrons. They often have larger table meant for 10 or more.

from a pub, in the areas I am aware of, you would expect to get tapped beer, possibly a selection of, while a bar could have tapped beer but often will not.

1 Like