Defining trunk roads

Hi,

the discussion was just about trunk roads, right? I did not see any community discussion about changing the meaning of highway=unclassified.

Actually the the change on the wiki page is years old and was done by Willi in a reaction to a tagging discussion on international wiki pages.

The way we currently use highway=unclassified in Thailand is:
Typically unclassified roads in Thailand are the roads having no designated number and connect villages to major highways.

I changed the wiki back to this descriptive text.

There was an open discussion whether it should also be used for more important roads inside bigger towns. I would favor the use of tags like lanes/width instead, but I’m open for suggestions. I did some rendering example to show how roads with more lanes are rendered more prominent:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=318634#p318634
better open a new thread if you want to discuss on this. We should not mix too many topics in one thread. Let’s keep this one about trunk roads.

Stephan

I further rearranged the table on the Wiki page in order to categorise the official road types (hopefully) better reflect the updated scheme. I also noted that the green-signed routes are actually legally motorways but don’t meet the criteria, so should be trunk, and added the expressways (which are obviously highway=motorway but were undocumented).