Cycling in Spain and getting new mappers on board

Hi,
I’m a complete noob to OpenStreetMap - I learned about it from a podcast just a few days ago but it looks great and I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

I’m currently on a cycling tour of Spain. The maps that I have bought from shops were printed five years ago and they are very out of date, especially with the amount of road building that has been going on over the last few years. I often find myself following roads that suddenly turn into motorways where bikes are forbidden and with no suitable alternative route on my map.

I would turn to OpenStreetMap but it seems there is still a long way to go regarding coverage for Spain. This did get me thinking though. I am travelling out of season, and everywhere I go there are bored receptionists at pensions (Spanish for guest-houses) surfing the web in their little offices. At this time of year there must be hundreds of people in the tourist industry with a lot of time on their hands, good local knowledge and a computer with internet access. Can we do something to get them on-board, such as articles in trade journals etc? It would be in their best interests to do so. If my Spanish wasn’t limited to nine words I’d be telling everyone about it!

Keep up the good work everyone - I will try to add as much data as I can as I cycle through Europe. This will be an invaluable tool for people like me in the future.

Cheers,
David