Crossing cycleway and road

If a cycleway is crossing a highway (car road), should the crossing node (which is marked "highway=crossing) also be marked with “bicycle=yes”, if bicycles are allowed to pass the crossing?

There is some controversy (mostly German thread) about that topic, but as long as it is yes and not no, it doesn’t hurt.

Hi, most routers are aware that the bicycle-access tag on crossings (hw=crossing) is describing the access on the crossing way, but not on the main road.

So, yes it’s ok.

More problematic is when a bicycle=no is added to a traffic-light-crossing (highway=traffic_signals).

This is also valid tagging according to the wiki, but can lead to routing errors:

My question would be: Why adding bicycle=yes? You can also leave it out.

Generally routers will parse access values from the highway= way.

bicycle=no on a barrier node (or similar) indicates to a router that the barrier is impassable for cyclists. But bicycle=yes on a highway=cycleway has no meaning.

Thanks all for your answers!

Richards post is what I thought, but despite this, I see lot of these, and that’s why I asked.

My question would be: Why adding bicycle=yes? You can also leave it out.

the wiki says bicycle=no is the default for pedestrian crossings, that’s why you could put bicycle=yes in the other cases

Above it has already been indicated that there is some controversy around this.

You can read the whole thread but my summary is that the text on the wiki is from the hand of one author while there was already enough opposition. In the end that same author agreed that bicycle=yes/no is better replaced by crossing:bicycle=yes/no

Addition after the reply below: “With the text on the wiki” I meant the text on highway=crossing specifically indicating the usage of bicycle=yes/no.

1 Like

You can read the whole thread but my summary is that the text on the wiki is from the hand of one author while there was already enough opposition.

the wiki is from 2008 and was approved through voting

In the end that same author agreed that bicycle=yes/no is better replaced by crossing:bicycle=yes/no

+1
this is also well known for several years, I mainly understood the current initiative as a campaign to raise awareness

Cheers Martin

Buenas tardes, creo que el tema fue resuelto, pero tengo una duda:

La etiqueta “cycleway=crossing”

¿No es la solución a esta duda del foro?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:cycleway%3Dcrossing