creating Israel map for print - please give an advice

Shalom,
I spent very nice holiday in Israel - 7days in June - and would like to create a map showing all places we visited and also some other. I am using QuantumGIS for this task and a result would be printable map (optimal for A3 paper, but with limitation also printable to A4) in PNG or PDF. This map I would like to send to my friends and other people who were in our group and I also plan to upload it somewhere under free license and share it. I already found some datasources - shapefile exports from OSM on Cloudmate site etc. but there are some problems:

1. I cannot find datasource where there are also English names - in fact I wanted to keep Hebrew labels (If there will be enough space on the map) but also add the English ones. Of course, I can find coordinates of the places on Wikipedia, convert them to decimal format and create point shapefile from scratch. The places I want to have on my map are for example: Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Herodium, Masada, Tiberias, Yardenit, Akko, Haifa, Tel Aviv, also Golan Heights etc.

2. The downloadable osm or shapefiles for Israel are very poor in contrast to what I see on OpenStreetmap.org so that is probably only basic export. The only detailed one was for Gaza :frowning: My favourite server Geofabrik.de unfortunately does not have any data for Israel. I found out that QGIS is able to download OSM data, but not for whole Israel. Is there any possibility to get the data?

any advice would be helpful

toda

Jan
Czech Republic