Convert .orc to .pbf/.mbtiles

Neither osmium or tilemaker seem to accept .orc files as input. Does anyone know how to convert .orc files to .mbtiles files (or at least .pbf which I can then convert to .mbtiles using tilemaker)? With AWS now distributing OpenStreetMap planet data as .orc files I would have thought this would be a common problem, but I can’t find an answer to the question anywhere, apologies if I’ve missed some completely obvious way of doing this :sweat_smile:

All the best,
Roland

Me personally, I have no knowledge about .orc files, I never heard of the in my 15 Years OSM experience .

What is an orc file? Which program can save / export them? Documentation?

Hi Stephan! As far as I can tell they are converted from pbf files by osm2orc (GitHub - mojodna/osm2orc: Transcodes OSM PBFs to ORC). I believe the reason AWS makes the planet data available as orc files, instead of the traditional pbf/mbtiles, is because orc files are more efficient for large-scale geospatial queries: Querying OpenStreetMap with Amazon Athena | AWS Big Data Blog but for my use case I just need good old-fashioned pbf/mbtiles so that I can easily serve the tiles with tileserver-gl :sweat_smile:

Just to clarify: you want to serve ‘raw’ OSM data, or do you actually want to serve vector tiles?

Hi Simon! The aim is to serve vector tiles from our own cloud server (running on AWS, hence why I’m keen to make use of the planet data that AWS are sharing for free!). Cheers, Roland

There is also an OSM PBF planet file available in the same S3 bucket:

aws s3 ls --no-sign-request s3://osm-pds/2023/

2023-04-28 13:48:04 73685819550 planet-230424.osm.pbf

OpenStreetMap on AWS - Registry of Open Data on AWS

2 Likes

Hi ikonor thank you so much for pointing that out, I can’t believe I missed that :man_facepalming:. Perfect.