Categorisation of Key:smoothness values

That makes me think of the regular city car in American big cities. And the picture probably just shows a “small car” :wink: I definitely saw some of them in LA and Vegas. And according to a quick internet search, the Ford F-150 pickup is the best-selling car in the USA. The Chevrolet Silverado and the previously mentioned Dodge RAM follow directly behind.

I think we should have users who want to reach a destination in mind, not thrill seekers who are looking for bad roads to try their skills.

we should give descriptions that are useful to both

1 Like

Lack of traction could be probably translated into tracktype but what about loose rocks?

You could have a surface=concrete broken into loose bits, and that could be only translated with a smoothness tag.

This is also supported by the smoothness wiki:

surface=* refers to surface material and sometimes to material structure. It may suggest a surface smoothness sometimes, but because the same surface material/structure can exhibit various shapes, it is still advisable to add smoothness=*.

I completely agree with this point. Ideally, we should replace qualitative adjectives, such as “good unpaved roads,” with more descriptive statements that detail the road conditions.

Perceptions of what makes an unpaved road “good” can vary significantly from country to country, or from driver to driver.

I am aware smoothness is supported by most routers, but can anyone point me to any renderers that can show different smoothness values?

Some of the entries at https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/smoothness#projects are definitely renderers.

1 Like

In Osmand there is a layer for smoothness:

Three shades of blue for excellent to intermediate, red for bad (here in the picture).

4 Likes

CyclOSM shows three surface qualities: Road bike, cyclocross/trekking/gravel bike, and mountain bike.

When smoothness is tagged, this is used: bad or worse is cyclocross, horrible or worse is mountainbike.

When it’s not tagged, tracktype is used instead: grade2 or worse is cyclocross, grade4 or worse is mtb.

When that is also not available, surface is used, e.g. gravel, sett and compacted is cyclocross, dirt, ground and sand are mtb.

Very useful for city centres with a lot of bumpy setts!

2 Likes