Big import of accessibility data from the On Wheels app

Naturally, you’ll need to follow the import guidelines. If you haven’t already done so, please do read those and make sure that you do everything that you need to do.

I suspect that while lots of people will be in favour of this data being added in OSM, they’d still want to see how you’d handle conflation - for example where an entrance node already exists but doesn’t have the new tags, where it exists has and has tags that disagree, and where a POI exists but has no entrance node.

Perhaps, in addition to the stuff in the import guidelines, it’d be worth manually editing 2 or 3 POIs as you propose so that can people can see the effect?

4 Likes

Yes the conflation issue will be the hardest. We want to add the new data to existing buildings, but it is a lot of work to do this manual. We did a test in Lisbon city were we added some of the new tags: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7285983235
We payed someone who has a lot of OSM knowledge for this, but we will have to see if it is financial possible to do this for the whole dataset.

3 Likes

One thing I noticed, some values have units, others don’t. It would be convenient to normalize those and maybe provide some guidance as to what values without units mean. It’s quite common to write meters without units. Anything else should have a unit or be transformed to meters. But since you are introducing completely new tags, you can choose what’s the default unit I suppose.

1 Like

Hi I did my best to make a proposal page for the tags we want to use and add with our On Wheels app:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:Accessibility

1 Like

Would it be possible to add taginfo links for the usage of those? Have a look at another page to see how it is done. Usage may be low now, but as the discussion goes on, I’d expect that it would go up.

You are also in a great place in this forum to trigger community support.

1 Like

An other user added the taginfo links I believe. Thank you!
How can we make this an official proposal? Now its a draft I believe.
How can we add the voting to this?

This would be great, since we don’t have the knowledge are funds to do this. We have an export of our data in json: [OnWheelsLocations_20_02_2023.json - Google Drive]

Somebody from the OSM community also made a script to change this to OSM json data, but there is also a lot of manual work to be done. For this we would like to get some help. What’s the best approach to find people for this?

Don’t import “test country” in there :smile:

No we know :slight_smile:

Thanks for this proposal!

I have looked at it and would suggest to use the keys

toilets:door:width=*
toilets:space:side=*
toilets:space:front=*

instead of

toilets:wheelchair:door_width=*
toilets:wheelchair:space_side=*
toilets:wheelchair:space_front=*

door width, space side and space front are not only attributes of wheelchair toilets, they apply to normal toilets too. It’s similar to elevator:door:width=*.

1 Like

It seems that OnWheels has done a big part of their import by now.

It would have been nice if you’d have linked to this thread in your changesets, but that is not such a big issue. I’ve left a changeset comment on each of them as well.

The changesets are:

The import is clearly visible on taginfo, as it uses some quite unique tags, for example entrace:width: entrance:width | Keys | OpenStreetMap Taginfo.

I’m estimating about 4500 datapoints got imported

Hi everyone, we managed to do the import where we just added our accessibility tags to the existing buildings in OSM. No OSM data was changed or deleted. Conflicting data or locations were not imported. More info about the tags we use and our app can be found here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/On_Wheels_app

I will instruct our importer to add a source tag so it’s clear the dataset comes from On Wheels. We still have to do the disabled parking spaces, but we haven’t found a good way to do it yet.

There is no need for a source tag on the actual data objects; a source tag on the changeset would be cool though

4 Likes

The onwheels app created a duplicate here: Node: â€ȘToko‬ (â€Ș11912039710‬) | OpenStreetMap and Node: â€ȘToko‬ (â€Ș5056732523‬) | OpenStreetMap

@Robin_On_Wheels @On_Wheels_app Can you please:

• Make sure there won’t be duplicates created anymore
  • Add tags as created_by=on wheels app 42 on the changeset and not on the object
  • Verify that no other duplicate entries were created?

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for letting me know about the double locations. It seams that some students didn’t follow our rules very clearly and added new locations instead of editing the existing ones. We are also working on a bug were the app creates duplicates. I manually checked and fixed all locations from this student. Will ask the dev to put the created by tag on the changeset instead of location. Do you know how they have to do this? These fixes are coming in the next update next week:

• deleting existing data when editing with the app
  • using capital letters in the answers box
  • we will only send the tag if the answer is yes (so no more tags with =no)
  • duplicates should also be fixed (had to to with server overload issues with pictures)

Good to hear that those changes are finally coming.

Are those students using the app? If they ‘have to follow some rules’, then a non-affiliated user will make the same errors and the user-experience should be improved.

1 Like

Yes I am thinking of how we can add some safety features to the app, so we can help people avoid making mistakes. You already have to make an OSM account, so we don’t really have random people adding things now. But I also want to add like a short intro movie or some slides before you can start adding/editing. Or maybe a feature that checks if a location with a similar name already exists. We are also working on adding ways to the app, so building info in a way can be edited instead of people adding a node with the info. For the teambuildings I made a separate OSM account so it’s easier to check for mistakes afterwards. We will also ask students to use this account in the future.