Bicycle=no an Nodes kann zu Routing-Problemen führen

Can you link specific problematic objects? What you linked includes for example Way: ‪Kronsforder Allee‬ (‪1088876104‬) | OpenStreetMap and it seems utterly unrelated problem to highway=crossing bicycle=no tagging (“bicycle=use_sidepath with cycleway=left”).

Also, Osmose often claims that mistake or problem exists where tagging is 100% fine and often encourages pointless edits.

RIght in the first posting: routing error.

And no, we don’t need to fix yet another router, we need to fix the tagging. Just because a bunch of people misused bicycle=no and broke all routers, doesn’t mean we need to cement this into a tagging standard that’s encouraging others to follow foot.

2 Likes

Achtung: In Deutschland ist das Radeln ueber Zebrastreifen erlaubt, man hat nur nicht die vollen Rechte.

2 Likes

Eben. Meiner Meinung nach gibt es überhaupt keinen Fall in Deutschland, wo das Tagging mit bicycle=no auf einer Kreuzung sinnvoll ist. Wenn der Fußgänger queren darf, dann darf es auch der Radfahrer. Der Radfahrer hat zwar keinen Vorrang, sondern muss Rücksicht auf die Fußgänger nehmen, aber das ist auch alles.

Danke, ich beschrieb meine Aussage explizit für Österreich, wo Radfahren auf einem Fußgängerüberweg strikt verboten ist :slight_smile:

Sowie auf alle anderen Verkehrsteilnehmer! (Kraftfahrzeug, Lastkraftwagen, Tram, Straßenbahn, etc.)
Kommt es zu einem Unfall, weil ein Radfahrer nicht abgestiegen ist und einem anderen Verkehrsteilnehmer der Vorrang genommen wurde, droht auch dem Radfahrer eine Strafe wegen Gefährdung.

I am not opposed to deprecating poor tagging schemes[1], it just should recognise that it is an attempt to change tagging.

And note that there are also other tags tagged on highway=crossing node referring to what someone using crossing encounters - not vehicles on the main road.

[1] Tagging mailing list right now discusses deprecation that I proposed.

This particular example was just to illustrate that erroneous tagging exists and that it is in my opinion no reason to put it on the Wiki as being fine tagging.

I am planning to edit highway=crossing so that it no longer encourages people to add bicycle=no/yes. Will you once more revert that change?

Depends on whether this new deprecation will be discussed with wider community or not, and on whether new description will describe tagging scheme capable of replacing it - that has at least as much of support among OSM community.

Is there even an alternative tagging scheme to support this? One that would be supporting cases where cycleways are tagged as road property - cycleway:both=track highway=tertiary on line, highway=crossing bicycle=no on node to indicate that you cannot switch sides when cycling there.

It’s not like any discussion happened when you added it to the Wiki. I know that you merely described what a lot of people have already been tagging, but as mentioned by @emvee, we have hundreds and thousands of tagging-errors and yet, we don’t document them to retroactively legalize them. We fix them.

Update: I just learned that it was part of the original proposal. I’m sorry that I didn’t find it. You

In this case, I can see a clear need to be able to tag who is allowed to use a crossing if both “ways” are mapped as a single way. So instead of just deleting the documentation, we should really kick off a global tagging discussion for once and not start another edit war.

I could think of some of them:

1. crossing:bicycle=no
    Not the best tagging in my opinion, because it is unclear in which direction bicycles are not allowed to cross.
  2. cycleway:crossing=no
    Maybe better, because it would say that the cycleway is not part of the crossing. But depending on the road layout, it could also mean that the pedestrians aren’t crossing the cycleway, so the router doesn’t need to penalize this crossing and thus the traffic lights for them.
  3. traffic_signals:bicycle=no to explicitly mark that the traffic signals don’t apply to bicycles on a highway=traffic_signals. This would require us to keep the bicycle=no on pure highway=crossing-nodes, but apparently routers can work with these, in contrast to those with highway=traffic_signals.

There are a lot more things about a crossing that we currently cannot map when mapping them as a single way. I’d say let’s split this off into a separate tagging thread on Help and support to brainstorm over this.

And yes: tagging this as a separate way doesn’t have these issues, but that shouldn’t stop us from finding a solution that we can all agree on.

1 Like

I think this should be dealt with in a proper proposal so that it receives the attention it needs. There are for example also editor templates that need to be changed, at least the one used by Vespucci.

Edit: Just found out that the tags were accepted in a proposal 15 years ago, meaning two things in my opinion:

1. Deprecating access tags on crossing nodes should really be tackled in a proposal
  2. After 15 years of accepted tagging practice, maybe the routers should have learned to deal with this by now?

Depends on whether this new deprecation will be discussed with wider community or not, and on whether new description will describe tagging scheme capable of replacing it - that has at least as much of support among OSM community.

It is just broken and should be deprecated ASAP.

I also suspect no routing software deals with a missing bicycle value as “no” as agreed in the 2008 proposal (default value)

This tagging is error prone, yes, routing software could ignore bicycle=no as not applying to the road when tagged on a node with highway=crossing, but it is not obvious they have to do this interpretation, and history shows it leads to breakage in many occasions.

It is also not widely used, only 0.19% / 12k uses on 6.9M crossings

Cheers Martin

2 Likes

Most (all?) routers have no problem with the hw=crossing + bicycle=no combination.

1 Like

Genau.
Außerdem gab es da doch eine Regel, wonach access-Tags an Punkten nur in Kombination mit dem Tag “barrier” o.ä. für das Routing relevant sind.
Für mich sind Router, die das nicht berücksichtigen defekt. Wahrscheinlich navigieren diese dann beispielsweise auch nicht durch eine KFZ-Ladestation, welche mit bicycle=no versehen ist und an einen Weg geklebt wurde.

wenn das Routing den tag ignorieren soll, wieso setzt man ihn dann?

1 Like

Laut damaligem Proposal sollte damit gekennzeichnet werden, ob der Übergang von Radfahrern benutzt werden darf oder nicht.
Bei JOSM gab es übrigens jahrelang ein Kästchen mit dem bicycle=yes/no bei Übergängen gesetzt werden konnte.

Es ist doch alles nur Vereinbarung welches Verhalten access-tags auf einem Knoten haben. Wenn das nirgends dokumentiert ist, dann braucht man sich auch nicht wundern, wenn die Leute das unterschiedlich interpretieren. Das Verhalten von access-tags an highway=crossing war zumindest mal dokumentiert.
Ich finde durchaus nicht, das man access-tags interpretieren sollte, wenn man die Objektklasse des Elementes nicht kennt (also z.B. an Knoten ohne weitere Tags).

“Benutzen” ist hier der falsche Begriff. Das ursprüngliche Proposal spricht:

A value of yes means that pedal cyclists are permitted to ride across the crossing.

Das ist das Befahren. In Deutschland ist das Tag also eigentlich nicht relevant. Das hier ist unser Zeichen 350, “Fußgängerüberweg”: image. Dieses darf grundsätzlich nur von Fußgängern verwendet werden. Radfahrer müssen ihr Rad hier also schieben.

Bei einigen Fußgängerüberwegen gibt es dann aber einen Radweg, der auch drüber läuft:

Der hat dann ebenfalls, so wie die Fußgänger, Vorrang. Diese Radwege sind immer mit unseren StVO-Zeichen für Radwege gekennzeichnet, müssen also auf den Wegen in OSM mit bicycle=yes oder bicycle=designated getaggt werden. Auf das Crossing gehört da eigentlich nichts.

Das ist falsch. Radler haben hier nur weniger Rechte.

3 Likes

Radwege sind ja nicht immer einzeln eingezeichnet und dann ist der crossing-Node der einzige Ort, wo man die Information, wer hier queren darf, unterbringen kann.

Wie soll denn ein Radfahrer eine Überweg benutzten, ohne dabei zu fahren?
Wenn er nicht fährt ist er ja kein Fahrradfahrer…

Nein, müssen sie nicht.
Wenn ein Radfahrer an einem “Fußgängerüberweg” die Fahrbahn kreuzen darf, angenommen dort wäre kein “Fußgängerüberweg”, so darf er es auch, wenn dort ein “Fußgängerüberweg” ist.
Er kann lediglich die Sonderrechte eines Fußgängers nicht in Anspruch nehmen, er hat also keinen Vorrang vor dem Fahrverkehr, wie es ein Fußgänger hätte. Außerdem haben Fußgänger entsprechend Vorrang vor dem Fahrradfahrer, welcher den “Fußgängerüberweg” befährt.

Auch das ist falsch.
Auf dem Foto hat ein Fahrradfahrer möglicherweise auf Grund evtl. vorhandener anderer Beschilderungen (welche ich auf dem Foto nicht erkennen kann) oder “rechts vor links” Vorfahrt, aber nicht, weil dort ein “Fußgängerüberweg” ist.