Beware of fake beaches (Pokémon Go)

When I thought about this dog beach, I asked myself:
Would I rest here for a sunbath? Is it convenient or just a few square meters to squeeze in? Honestly, this “beach” is just a very tiny strip of gravel.

For this example, I would fully agree now - based on your feedback - to not consider a beach since it’s just too small to fit more like 4-5 people.

Referring to your screenshot:
Would you consider this upper left part as kind of “beach”?
It’s difficult to access this gravel bench, but therefore it’s mainly used by locals since the tourists just feel inconvenient to access this spot. We did some parties there already. Of course, it cannot fit dozens of people. Just want to understand, where to draw the line for “too small for a beach” to prevent such inconvenient situations for myself in the future.

Anything that is separated from the water by construction still a beach?

I just posted my quick thoughts but also realized and noted that human use does not factor in according to documentation / German.

1 Like

Beaches must have a loose surface, e.g. sand, pebbles, shells. There is no such thing as a “grass beach.” As @Hungerburg stated, whether it is being used by humans doesn’t matter.

Just FYI, you are not allowed to use Google Street View when editing OpenStreetMap. Not saying you did this, just for future reference.

In my view beaches must be immediately adjacent to water. It is the action of waves that form beaches.

6 Likes

Thanks for your very detailed feedback.
After studying, I’m still having some comprehension questions

According to the German explanation, it’s defined different.
The condition of the surface doesn’t matter, whether it’s loose or not (like grass).

Translated the German Wiki (natural=beach) explanation back to English:
A beach is a shallow strip of shore in coastal areas or inland waters above the shoreline that is covered with mud, sand and debris. A beach is a shallow strip of shore in coastal areas or inland waters above the shoreline that is covered with mud, sand and debris.

Whereas the English Wiki clearly says “to mark a loose geological landform along the coast”. Should be improved I guess?

Nevertheless, if I got the point, “beach” is supposingly sand, gravel etc. but not grass?

Regarding third party content, I got your message.

Technically, it is direct on the water. Unfortunately I don’t have a own photo showing the situation there. There’s just not the entire “coast line” accessable to the water but only on a few spots, like by using a ladder. As mentioned, this beach/coast line got paved by a little quay wall to prevent the shore from erosion by waves. Is there some more suitable option to be used instead for such paved shores?

This is a community project. If other people think it is possible to have a mud beach or a grass beach we can discuss. I am going off of not only the OSM English Wiki but English Wikipedia: Beach - Wikipedia. Yes, I think we need to improve the definition of a beach on the OSM Wiki.

In my mind the water has to be able to theoretically wash over the beach, for example through through enough wave or tidal action. It may not happen every day, or even every year, but there cannot be a barrier. Beaches are gradually sloped down to the water. In my mind, any steep embankment or wall that necessitates the use of a ladder to access the water means that it is unlikely to be a beach.

Just read one of the attached articles, & apparently, over 7 years (2016-2022), Niantic / PoGo made over US$5.5 Billion!!! :scream:

Yep, just 1% of your takings p.a., paid to OSM in recognition of us providing your background maps, would do nicely, thank you! :grinning:

10 Likes

this seems to exclude grass to me?

2 Likes

I think beaches are fundamentally “loose” material.

Most definitions I’m seeing say something like “sand or small stones”:

If you read the second sentence there, it makes it painfully obvious, that Strandbad translates to beach_resort. And that a lawn separated from the water by a quay wall with ladders is not a beach is not something unique to openstreetmap?

I myself, natively speaking German, have no problem conceiving of a Strandbad without Strand/beach; In my area, not far from yours, this is actually more common than the other, lots of piers in front of the quay e.g. People do not like grassy beaches, they are soft and muddy :slight_smile:

I know of one Strandbad, where a sandy beach was created for the small children. I’d have no problem with tagging that a beach. Actually, I did that already.

I guess that was meant for you to assess the validity. @SuperSonic highly likely does not need that.