Belgium subcategory

Category name

Belgium

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

subcategory

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Replace the Belgium forum.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

A few per month

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

Not really. Perhaps the new subcategory can replace some of the functionality of talk-be as well

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

OSM Etiquette Guidelines may apply.

List the usernames of the category moderators

joost schouppe. Moderates talk-be and the Belgium forum already.
Thibaultmol. Very active in the Belgian chatroom and some of osmbe projects.

2 Likes

Thanks for the request.

Let’s wait for additional moderators to be proposed and their comments here accepting. You can edit you initial message to also include a brief description of why they were proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Added another mod and a little description

1 Like

Hi @nukeador I’m the other moderator that Joost proposed.
I’m generally home most of the time and behind my computer. So I should be available a lot of the time to moderate the subcategory

Thanks both. Would be possible to suggest a third moderator for this category? (maybe from the most active contributors in other channels)

This is highly encouraged to ensure a good distribution of the responsibilities.

Cheers.

Can we do this as the activity here grows?

I would encourage to find an additional person during this stage, as was described in the approved proposal on new categories.

I suspect the Belgium community is big enough to at least have 3 active contributors who usually monitor conversations.

If this is really a problem, let’s talk about alternatives.

Cheers.

Well we always managed the forum with just two and the mailing list always used to be just one. So it seems a bit like overkill. But I’ll ask again for more folks.

2 Likes

Hello,

I would like to share here that a criteria for selecting new moderators has been recently approved:

There are just three changes that affect the current request:

• Please review that all proposed mods fulfill the basic requirements to be a moderator.
  • At least 5 days of community discussion need to take place once all the proposed mods have commented accepting here.
  • A poll voting will be created after this discussion to allow the community to validate the final list.

Please, let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

Editing my comment on mobile doesn’t work, so just to say that I’ve found another volunteer (no, they are not that easy to find). Thierry Jimenez, on of the osmbe board members and very active in several of our chatrooms will join. I’ll ask him to comment here as well.

Hello @nukeador
As Joost stated, I am willing to be next to Thibault the 3rd moderator.
Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks everyone,

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria now the community has 5 days (that must include weekend days) to discuss about this proposal.

After that a voting poll will be opened for another 5 days to validate the list.

Cheers

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @joost_schouppe @Thibaultmol and @Thierry1030 to be category moderators for the “Belgium” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)

0 voters

The #communities:be category is now created and the approved moderators have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your local languages, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!

1 Like

I understand the current BE forum will be imported there. That should happen within a few days, right? Would it be better to not have much activity here until the import happens, or does it not matter?

It doesn’t matter, an update will be provided this week on the migration, but messages will be merged into this new category even if existing messages are there already.

2 Likes