Add surface to Highway (Greece) - Jan 2023

I hope it’s okay for me to continue in English. For those who prefer Greek, I have added a machine translation below

Hi!

I’m Chiara from TomTom

I would like to inform you that we have launched a MapRoulette challenge in Greece that may interest you regarding the addition of surface on the “highways” (MapRoulette)

The goal of this challenge is to identify and add missing surface tags on the road network. We queried OSM for roads with certain highway=* values where the area value tag was missing and prepared 577 tasks for you.

Whenever you have any questions or comments, feel free and don’t hesitate to contact me.

You can find more information at the following GitHub page: Greece | Data Improvement · Issue #151 · tomtom-international/open-data · GitHub

I hope this challenge is fun!

Chiara

Γεια!

Είμαι η Chiara από την TomTom

Θα ήθελα να σας ενημερώσω ότι έχουμε ξεκινήσει μια πρόκληση MapRoulette στην Ελλάδα που μπορεί να σας ενδιαφέρει σχετικά με την προσθήκη επιφάνειας στους «εθνικούς δρόμους» (MapRoulette)

Ο στόχος αυτής της πρόκλησης είναι να εντοπίσει και να προσθέσει ετικέτες επιφάνειας που λείπουν στο οδικό δίκτυο. Ζητήσαμε από το OSM για δρόμους με συγκεκριμένες τιμές αυτοκινητόδρομου=* όπου έλειπε η ετικέτα τιμής περιοχής και ετοιμάσαμε 577 εργασίες για εσάς.

Όποτε έχετε ερωτήσεις ή σχόλια, μη διστάσετε να επικοινωνήσετε μαζί μου.

Μπορείτε να βρείτε περισσότερες πληροφορίες στην ακόλουθη σελίδα GitHub: Greece | Data Improvement · Issue #151 · tomtom-international/open-data · GitHub

Ελπίζω αυτή η πρόκληση να είναι διασκεδαστική!

Chiara

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2 Likes

Hi Chiara,

thank you for informing us about this MapRoulette challenge. Indeed not all segments of the trunk highway have surface, especially the sideroads connecting to them. Hope we can finalize with this lack of information in this part.

2 Likes

This job can be done easily with a mass edit that will add surface=asphalt tags to all motorways (and links) and trunk (and links) roads in Greece.
Anyway, thanks for letting us know about this MapRoulette challenge.

1 Like

Thank to you to have read and in case of doubt please reach me out.

Do you have proof that all motorway and trunk roads in Greece have asphalt as surface?

There is a similar MapRoulette idea for Germany for which a mass edit would certainly be wrong since not all motorways in Germany have an asphalt surface.

1 Like

Hi nikospag, thanks for your feedback.
Maybe if you want, you can start some tasks and give me your opinion… I’ve hoped this challenge can be useful and funny, but in case not, please let me know. I really appreciate your inputs

1 Like

Yep, the Greek Law. All motorways and trunk roads in Greece have asphalt as surface.

Well, I think there is a similar law (or better call it regulation) for Germany that new/repaired motorways have to get an asphalt surface. But there are a few sections of pretty old motorways where this hasn’t been done yet.

Don’t get me wrong. I have no experience with motorways in Greece. I just wanted to ask because this is a thing you can easily get wrong. Of course you would expect a motorway to have an asphalt surface. But reality varies every now and then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Luckily, here in Greece, all motorways are new and were constructed after the regulation was in effect. :slightly_smiling_face:

Understandable, but not always: I am aware that a good number of toll plazas, such as Afidnes (A1) and Sofades (A3), have a concrete surface, most likely as a way to get drivers to slow down. Therefore, it would not be possible to assume asphalt for every section of road in Greece, tempting it may be.

1 Like

Toll plazas are mapped as a separate polygon and its not part of the Motorway. Its a different entity.
That polygon can have the tag surface=concrete.