2-1 roads in Norway?

Are there any so-called 2-1 roads in Norway?

According to the rather short wiki article, there are in-use in Denmark and Sweden. This is the same as the chaucidou in France.

It is somewhat related to similar concepts known as “advisory cycle lane” in Britain and Ireland, “Schutzstreifen” in Germany and “Fietsuggestiestroken” in the Netherlands and Belgium.

I have not seen any of those in Norway. Motorways are required to have a wide shoulder to accommodate emergencies, however I believe that is a different concept.

4 Likes

No so-called 2 minus 1 exist in Norway. Trials with 2 minus 1 roads has been proposed multiple times, but none have been carried through yet.

1 Like

That’s great, don’t let that cancer get to you! :wink:

Trials with sharrows was however carried through in 2020, and the road adminstraction liked the concept, because the number of cyclist using the sidewalk was reduced. Cycling on sidewalks are legal in Norway.
Sharrows was taken into the manual for road markings the year after, so more sharrow marking can be expected in the future.

1 Like

I guess something’s happening that looks like 2-1.

It’s paywalled. Anyway, that looks really really unsafe, for cyclists. It is barely broad enough to even fit a bicycle, nevermind any buffer.

Are you sure this is not simply a shoulder? It is a mountain road, so maybe drivers are reminded to rather stay more in the center of the road unless they have to avoid oncoming traffic.

That’s what ~70% of roads look like in Norway, so the linked roadmarking is indeed unusual.
It also illustrates why 2-1 hasn’t taken off - usually there’s no easily available extra width.

Short answer: No.

Statens vegvesen / The Norwegian Public Roads Administration initiated different bicycle infrastructure pilots, and 2-1 road was part of it. Unfortunately (luckily maybe) they could not find any good pilot roads to test it on. Think this trial suggestion was stopped as well: Fredrikstad kan bli først i landet med 2 minus 1-vei – Dagsavisen. And the page on vegvesen.no about this is removed, but still indexed in search engines. This is also a bit telling.

1 Like

Good to hear (for you)! This kind shared infrastructure only serves to make car drivers and bicyclists resent each other.